Monday, April 14, 2008

She always said death comes in 3's

Well, my Grandma always, my moms mom, has said this and it always seems to work out that way in our family, or extended family. A few months ago, Marks Uncle passed away while working in the barn on Thanksgiving morning. Then in Feb my cousin, finally succumbed to breast cancer. Friday my Grandma passed, we have calling hours tonight and the funeral tomorrow morning. I feel bad that we didn't spend a whole lot of time with her. She was still working darn near 50 hours a week, at 69!!! She worked with mentally handicapped men, they all lived in a house and had around the clock care, but most of them went to work at Goodwill during the day. My Grandma stayed with them at night, she would clean the house and do laundry, cook breakfast and make sure everyone got their meds, etc, before going off to work. She loved her job, she loved her boys as she called them. My kids know her as the sucker Grandma, she always had a pocket full of dumdum suckers for the grandkids along with dog treats for any dog she came across. LOL I, so far, fell ok about the whole thing. She lived a long full life, she had 5 daughters that gave her 28 grandkids and we have given her 10 great grandbabies. I feel good that she got to see me and my brother, Pepper, get married. She will miss out on my other siblings weddings, though. She will miss out on my niece being born in 2 months. But she saw many granbabies and great grandbabies, and realistically we can't be around forever, now can we. I think I am numb to death in a way. I have seen far to many people that i care about die, starting at the young age of 9, when my stepdad, but the only true dad I have ever had, died on Christmas morning, right in front of us. That was very hard and sticks with you your whole life. It seems that I go to more funerals than I do happy events like weddings. That sucks!! The whole family has come together, even the realtives from florida, VA, and as far as Texas (we haven't seen my Aunt and her children, who now have children of their own, lol) in 15 or 16 years!! WOW. that alone makes me feel old!! Oh well, we will get through today and tomorrow and go on with life without Grandma here. but she was a big believer in angels and we all know that she is an angel watching over us all now and forever.

No comments: